Friday, May 20, 2011

MORTAL MUTHAF$@KING KOMBAT; bitches

Gameplay - 9/10
Storyline - 10/10
Graphics - 10/10
Game Score : 29/30

Well it finally happened; I got my hands on Mortal Kombat for the PS3 and I can now write this blog and bring the good news of Mortal Kombat to you all. I'll try to keep this short and to the point so feel free to check out this wonderful game for yourself first chance you get. Mortal Kombat; known across the world by gamers and non-gamers alike, its awesomeness transcends age, gender and generations. In my opinion after the failure of the series back in the day to jump on the hype of 3-D gaming with Mortal Kombat 4 in 1997, I am happy to see that they finally listened to the fans and went back to what we all know and love. Unmitigated blood and gore in a nicely wrapped 2-D fighting experience...




This game is is full of so much epicness I don't even know what I should tell you and what I should let you discover on your own. All I can say is from a robust fighting engine to a wide character selection this game has all the main elements that make up a great fighting game. The game is mostly centered around these main modes as far as I see: Story Mode, Challenge Tower and Online.

Challenge Tower consists of 300 challenges that the twisted minds of the game developers came up with to test you the player to see how awesome a gamer you are. It starts off relatively easy but progressively gets harder and harder as you make your way to the top. There is also the option of skipping a challenge if it is too hard by paying a certain amount of gold which you accumulate from playing the various game modes along the way. Kudos to you if you can beat all 300 challenges without skipping any, you are truly a hardcore gamer. I made it to the top and unlocked the extra special reward that awaited me and boy oh boy I can tell you it was not easy. Many a curse words not fit for virgin ears were said and many timeouts had to calm myself down along the way. They recreated all the unfairness of boss fights in previous Mortal Kombat games very well indeed.


Next we have Online; here like the name suggests the player can take his skills and challenge players from across the world in varying forms of kombat. These include 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, and King of the Hill; sadly unlike previous online titles, this "Mortal Kombat" comes with an one-time use online pass which is mandatory to access the online portions of the game. This means that people who buy the game pre-owned will have to buy an online pass from either the PS Store or Xbox Live Marketplace if they want to play online. Currently the online experience could use some fine tuning as lag is a big issue from my experience and I really hope they can fix that as it is the only fault that I find with this game. However lag or no lag it is still fun to play especially when you get a relatively good connection with someone your matched against, its always funny to me when people lose to me online and send me raged filled messages on PSN.


Finally there is story mode aka single player where I must admit the developers of this game really did an amazing job retelling the tale of Mortal Kombat. The story begins after the events of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, but then returns to the period in which the first three games - Mortal KombatMortal Kombat II, and Mortal Kombat 3 - occur. Due to a plot twist (the character Raiden now having knowledge of the future), the events of this time are slightly altered. I really like how they let you play as varying characters so you get a better feel for the story and the role each person plays as well as allowing you to have a better understanding of each character's move-set. Check out these videos I recorded for a first hand look at the start of it all...
Part 1



Part 2

4 comments

May 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Well before i answered the poll was wondering if it was a trick ques lol nehw mortal kombat will 4 ever live on with its kick ass fighting i personally am an old user been yrs since i played bt i knw i will still love it like i did wen i was a kid :D

Al
May 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Yea we all had our taste of mortal combat. great stuff. See you be goin hard on the big screen rion.

May 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM

you know how we roll

Tahnee
May 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Mortal Combat will always be a fav of mine. indeed its great stuff. im wondering how cames you dont the big comfy couch with the big screen with mortal combat........... lol

Post a Comment

Thanks For Stopping By

Credits