Friday, March 22, 2013

Are you ready for the King of Ironfist Tournament?

Game Mechanics - 1.5/2
Story-line - 1/2
Graphics - 1/2
Soundtrack - 1/2
Replay Value - 2/2
 Total Score - 6.5/10

Hows it hanging one and all? Hope you all have been having as much fun gaming this week as I have been having playing through Tomb Raider. Hell I almost forgot I was supposed to be reviewing a game for today. Thankfully I didn't have to do much searching as PSN released some free games for Playstation Plus members on Tuesday  Those were The Cave on PS3 and Tekken 6 for the PSVITA; since we had already reviewed The Cave a couple weeks ago I opted to take a look at Tekken 6. Now granted I am not much of a Tekken fan as I primarily play Capcom made fighting games I pretty much went into this not knowing what to do as far as fighting moves went. Nevertheless at the cost of my sanity I decided to try out Tekken 6 on my PSVITA and boy oh boy did I suck at it...


Tekken 6 (鉄拳6?) is a fighting game developed and published by Namco Bandai. It is the seventh main installment in the Tekken franchise. It was released in Japanese arcades on November 26, 2007 as the first game running on the PlayStation 3-based System 357 arcade board. The game received an update, subtitled Bloodline Rebellion, a year later. A home version based on the update was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on October 27, 2009 and for PlayStation Portable on November 24, 2009. This game can be digitally download via PlayStation Store to play on PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita. Tekken 6 features bigger stages with more interactivity than its predecessors, such as walls or floors that can be broken to reveal new fighting areas. The character customization feature has been enhanced, and certain items have implications in some aspects of game-play  A new "rage" system has been added, giving characters more damage per hit when their vitality is below a certain point. Once activated, a reddish energy aura appears around the character, and their health bar starts to flicker in red. The rage aura can be customized with different colors and effects to appear like fire, electricity, ice, among others. Another game-play feature added is the "bound" system. Every character has several moves that, when used on an opponent that is currently midair in a juggle combo, will cause the opponent to be smashed hard into the ground, bouncing them off the floor in a stunned state and leaving them vulnerable to another combo or additional attack. As of the Bloodline Rebellion update, successfully parrying a low attack will also put a character into a bound state.


What’s Good:
Replay Value: There is a fair amount of replay value with this game from the customization aspect present to the wide range of characters available to master with a wide variety of combat styles.

What’s Bad:
Story-line: Honestly there isn't much of one as far as I saw while playing the game as the story mode is just a few random matches and then you supposedly fight the ending boss. Most the characters have really random and strange scenarios in which they end up entering the King of Iron Fist Tournament.

What Should Have Been Added:
Since I have little to no experience with 3-D fighters I wont be as pompous as to suggest something that very well would not have much impact on the game as a whole.

Final Thoughts:
Sorry for the seemingly lack luster review but this is more or less just a run through to let you know the game is up for free so there isn't much reason to not give it a shot. I'm a tried and true 2-D fighting game lover so this experience has just further reinforced my love for 2-D  fighting games. I just couldn't get my head around the game mechanics of a 3-D fighting game I guess but let it not be said I didn't give it the good old college try.


Thanks For Stopping By

Credits