Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To 3D Or Not To 3D; That Is The Question...


Here we are gathered yet again for another random Monday blog, todays topic; 3D movies. By now most if not all of you should have some exposure to this seemingly new industry standard for feature movies through first hand encounters or hearing about it from friends. However as great an addition it may be is it truly a necessity and does it vastly increase the enjoyment factor of the movie? Lets take a little look at what the 3D experience entails...




This is how 3D videos look to the naked eye, the above video comes with instructions that will help you to view the video in 3D without the aid of actual 3D glasses viewable in the description section on youtube. 3-D film or S3D (stereoscopic 3Dfilm is a motion picture that enhances the illusion of depth perception. Derived from stereoscopic photography, a regular motion picture camera system is used to record the images as seen from two perspectives (or computer-generated imagery generates the two perspectives in post-production), and special projection hardware and/or eyewear are used to provide the illusion of depth when viewing the film. This boom in the use of 3D movies, really started to soar with the box office success of the James Cameron movie Avatar, in December 2009. My biggest gripe is when Hollywood starts slapping on 3D on movies, thinking that its an automatic plus to the movie and will make it that much better; case in point the horrible rendition of the awesome cartoon series "Avatar: The Last Airbender".




Any fan of the actual cartoon, can find a million and one ways that movie squandered it's potential, but enough about the past lets talk about the present. I recently watched Transformers: Dark of the Moon in 3D and as much of a fancy addition it is, I honestly don't think the 3D was needed. The movie already had stunning cinematography, and honestly I found myself watching various parts of the movie with my glasses off, wondering what portions of the movie were even in 3D. To put it bluntly, it neither added nor subtracted anything as far as the movie was concerned. I am conflicted if this is a good thing however due to the fact that on one hand if i'm paying to see a movie in 3D I would like to get my moneys worth and be bombarded with the awesomeness that 3D can bring to the table; but on the other hand I have to wonder if maybe the over the top 3D wouldn't have been a good fit for the movie, given the tone and pace of the movie. 

In closing, the main point of it all is that not every big movie release needs to be in 3D, and if a need for 3D is valid then majority of the movie should be in 3D, not just bits and pieces. I sincerely hope for two things to happen as far as Hollywood is concerned with 3D movies; firstly make 3D movies that are atleast 70% 3D so one can fully be submerged in the wonder that is 3D, and secondly implement 3D movie viewing screens that don't require the glasses, such as with the Nintendo 3DS. Until that time I think i'll continue to do things the old fashioned way and download my movies. In the mean time you can look forward to more random 3D movies made on the 3D hype...



11 comments

Sly
July 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM

i always new youtube would join the 3d movement never know it started already, thanks for that info. i feel the same way when i watch 3d movies to it feels like i'm not really watching a 3d movie just a clearer smooth clean image and get the occasional 3d as a bonus. movies should be left in 2d coz when i watch 3d movies i always expect what i got when i go on 3d rides (honey i shrunk the audience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey,_I_Shrunk_the_Audience!) where the seats are rigged to spray and do other stuff to make use of all 5 senses, but jus a 3d screen of images that don't really jump at you....nah not worth it.

July 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM

well i wudnt go as fr as the moving seats (http://www.d-box.com/en/movie-theatre/) and such even though some theaters already have tht much but i agree that 3D shud be far more immersible.

July 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM

firstly, speaking for someone who 3D does not works for, at all, It is really annoying that movies I want to see are in 3D. especially in Jamaica I dont have the option since, it's all about the money.

speaking on the matter of how relevant it is, it not that necessary. If its a movie I know that that 3D is relevant to be used then I would pay my money to see it cause It is how the movie suppose to be viewed, unlike the ones that put the movie in 3D just to hype and pricing for movies, It is so unnecessary. We enjoyed it in 2d just as much as it is in 3D so I see not big different other than you are aware you have big glasses on in the theater. if You want to see shit jump out, I go buy myself a pop out book, otherwise, it is a waste of my money either way.

July 13, 2011 at 3:53 AM

rofl @ popup book. i agree whole heartedly.

Lattyd
July 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM

ive never actually watched a movie before in 3D and now im not sure if i wanna. I thought 90% of it was 3D ... what a disappointment

July 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM

sorry to burst your bubble. maybe one day we will get the full experience of what we pay for

Anonymous
July 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Can't resist teh oppertunity to commentz

3D television as currently defined (see date of post below) = Utter Shite

Of course I'm not a fan of stereoscopic 3D or movies either so interpret as you like.

Just a stupid fad that will hopefully pass soon. The major determinant of seeing a film etc. in 3Dee has to do with how it was made. Anything else is not really that significant. (really spending extra money to fool your eyes)

Can't wait for the proper use of 3D technologies. It will happen SOON!!!

I N T E R A C T I V I T Y F T W! ! !
- .... . -... --- ... ...

July 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM

i dont see it passing anytime soon cause it seems tht it might end up being a big industry standard in coming years. we can only hope they vastly improve on it as time goes by.

July 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

poll on If You Had To Do One Or The Other All The Time Which Would You Pick? ended with 4 votes for watch movies at home and 0 votes for watch movies at theater.

Anonymous
July 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Totally agree with the above posts...

I'm a big fan of watching movies on 'the big screen.' So when the whole '3D craze' came about I was pretty pumped and the expectations were high. Have to say that am tremendously disappointed. It aggravates me that all the 'big movies' these days have jumped on the the 3D bandwagon.
I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 last night and yes, it was a good movie and all, but i think throughout the whole thing we only saw one 3D moment! The glasses hurt my eyes, and just took away from the whole experience quite frankly.

This 3D bull needs to cotch. lol

In the previews, I saw that 4D is soon to emerge. As much as I will check it out, I don't think I'll keep my hopes up that it'll be any better that 3D.

July 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

well i think they need to perfect the 3D experience b4 they go off rushing to do 4D

Post a Comment

Thanks For Stopping By

Credits